exhibition poster 2

This was a fun exercise – creating a poster advertising a future exhibition of artwork.

To start, I used a photograph of the interior of an old derelict farmhouse near my home.

feb photoshoot. sunny 15.2.160423

Firstly I lightened the photograph using levels. I then duplicated & rotated the image, creating a mirror image. Sampling the colour of the door, using the eyedropper tool, I was able to create text in a matching tone of green. I was then able to rotate both the address and date to align with the angle of the doors. The gradient tool was invaluable in lightening up the central ‘space’. I customized this again using the eyedropper tool to ensure the tones would fit in with the original colours. Finally I changed the text around until I was happy with it and used brightness/contrast to give the image more definition. I particularly like the way the old horse’s hames, hanging from the rafters, show up in the centre of the new image.

For the next exercise I designed a poster for a virtual exhibition on Second Life.

Second Life Poster

This was inspired by a scene I came across whilst exploring the Second Life world. I found the flower imagery reminiscent of Impressionism, Monet in particular. This feeling was emphasized by an online article I read on artsy.net about a digital painting artist  titled,  ‘Is Petra Cortright the Monet of the 21st Century?’

I opened the snapshot I had taken whilst in Second Life and, sampling the colours with the eyedropper tool, I was able to match up the background and the text colours to the scene from Second Life. I decided to hold the exhibition at the DIT Second Life campus, to add to the theme of virtual reality.

 

exercise-5

 

My final poster was basically an exploration on working with Photoshop as I  used the Pencil tool to create a pattern of lines of different thicknesses and shades. I used the colour palette from the last exercise – mainly because I liked it – and played around with the ‘paint bucket tool’ and colour theory, in filling up the spaces and adding depth to the layered design.

I then added a ‘Gaussian Blur’ filter. I also added a custom gradient effect, an effect that I have only just discovered. The ‘misty’ effect produced helped the text to stand out from the background design for increased legibility.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s